Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I had to make a hard decision today. Christmas Eve is tomorrow, but we are expecting bad weather. My family gathers for Christmas on Christmas Eve several hours from where I live. I had to make a judgement call to not go. I'm rather sad about not going, because I love being able to spend time with everyone. Also, I have a new born cousin I'd like to meet.

This brings me to the topic of family. I've been a part of several different family get togethers over the years and no two are exactly the same. My family is very interesting in itself.  Our holidays are call "food festivals."  This is adequately named, because that's really what they are.  The actual holiday doesn't matter - only the food.  Thanksgiving is particularly bad.  For 4 days we all get together and do nothing but eat.  It's amazing we're not all 500 lbs or more. 

What makes holidays in our family really special is not just the food (even though the food is Cordon Bleu outstanding), but the conversations.  Have you seen Wedding Crashers?  You know that outspoken/racist old grandma?  Well, we have characters who are equally amusing.  The characters who play roles in our holidays include: the outspoken Uncle who has more life experience and opinions than almost all other family members put together, the quiet nun-like aunt and grandmother who have never sworn a day in their lives (they are sisters after all), the comedian father (he's like a robin williams in training), the semi-racist grandparents (they remind me of the parents on Everyone Loves Raymond's), and the rest of the pawns are all there for comic relief. 

What's my role?  I'm just a pawn.  I help the comedic father in his never ending quest to get the rest of the family to spit food and drinks across the table due to an unexpected bout of comedy.  Although, I'm usually the one spitting food.  Of course, the food is followed by games of backgammon, dominos, and cards, and more food.  Bet you didn't guess that.

The best part of the family get togethers is that it doesn't matter if anyone spit-up at a meal.  Nor does it matter if someone did.  It just mattered that we spent it together.  I secretly think we eat so much food, because food makes people happy and happy people complain less.  My family hates complainers.

I enjoy spending time with all of our family as often as possible. You never know how long people will live and how much time you have left to enjoy their presence. Treasure every moment. I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment