Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Oldies but Goodies

I've been thinking about this blog for a while now.  I'll start by telling you that I love movies.  All movies.  I watch anything.  My biggest pet peeve about movies are remakes.  There are so many of them!  Most times the original movie is much better than the remake.  Three movies that proove some remakes should never have been made: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Peter Pan, and the Bad News Bears.

Let's look at this in a little more detail.  I love the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  The music is very well written, the characters were cast perfectly, and there's a timeless appeal to the movie.  Now, I love Johny Depp...I don't know too many women who don't.  But the remake of that movie was just weird.  They made Willy Wonka a crazy, cruel, and eccentric person.  The original Willy Wonka character loved his candy shop and was a little eccentric, but not dark.  Tim Burton worries me. 

Peter Pan.  This is a toss up for me.  Each remake has it's own take on Peter Pan, but I like the 1950's version and Hook.

The remake of Bad News Bears is just that, bad.  The original with Tatum O'Neal and Walter Matthau was great.  Walter played a great drunk.  There's very few people who can capture that type of drunk vulgarity.

On the contrary, there's several remakes I love.  These include Flubber, A Little Princess, and The Secret Garden, The Parent Trap.  These movies are all great and I think they at least as good, if not better than the originals.  The music, plot, and actors or actresses make them special in their own way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment