Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Internet Lied to Me!!

My hubby has decided he's going to buy a new car.  He has a 2006 Toyota Rav4, but wants a new GMC Terrain.  He's still researching this decision, so it could be another 2 years before he actually buys one.  He likes to really think about large purchases - it's one of the reasons I love him.  No need to rush into buying something he'll be paying off for the next 5 - 6 years.

Like almost all research done these days, he starts online to see which dealers had Terrains in stock.  He was really excited to found a dealership within 30 minutes of our house.  I guess these vehicles are hard to find, because everyone wants them.  I really don't understand why cars get so popular that they sell out??  Don't people know what that does to the supply/demand economic issue?  Sorry, back on subject.

Anyhow...he emailed the dealership about his interest in the vehicle, and a nice woman (Jane) replied telling him about some of the vehicles they had in stock.  So, we drove to the dealership to checkout this 'hot' vehicle. 

Like all people who don't want to be bothered by annoying salespeople, we cruise the lot unsuccessfully.  I tell hubby, "Maybe they have them stored in back, because they're apparently a hot vehicle."  Hubby doesn't think that's likely, but he appreciates my sanguinness.  We go inside and meet Bob the salesman.  Bob tells us they have no Terrains, but they've had people coming in from all over looking for them.  He thinks it's rather odd that so many people keep coming in asking for them.  I laugh.

I decide to take pity on Bob.  "Bob, I would venture to guess you have people coming in, because your website says you have 7 in stock."  Bob - looking shocked - asks which website.  Really Bob, you have more than one website?  Ok, I'll play nice...I tell him the dealership website.  Bob thinks I'm wrong.  He checks online.  Seriously, when am I wrong?  Not today.

Bob turns his monitor (I love swivel LCD monitors - they're so convenient), and shows us what I already said.  There are about 7 Terrains listed in stock on their website.  Oh my gosh!  Bob is in shock!  How'd those get there??  LOL.  Bob appologizes for the internet mistake.

My hubby is more upset than me about the whole situation, so he makes Bob's day even better by telling him that he also received an email from Jane about the Terrains the dealership had in stock.  Apparently Jane did the same research as my hubby did online to find the Terrains.  Bob (looking more sorry and slightly paler by the minute) appologizes further and tells us that Jane is part of their e-team and doesn't get out on the lot much.  Like that wasn't already obvious?  Maybe the e-team should be disbanded and everyone should have crossfunctional duties?

We end the encounter with Bob taking down our names and saying he'll personally give us a call when the next Terrain comes in stock.  I'm glad he'll give us a call, because I wouldn't trust Jane or the website.  He's also going to check into the inventory issue online.

We walk out of the dealership and the first thing my hubby says, "The internet lied to me! I can't believe the internet lied!"  We both had a great laugh.  Oh yes, the internet never lies...Abe Vigoda is dead (google it)!  We had a great laugh about the whole thing and made slightly mean comments about Bob and Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment